
The other night we watched Pearl Harbor. I had to explain to J.D. what was going on and it sparked a great discussion on what it means to be patriotic. We talked about what happened at Pearl Harbor and about World War II. We talked about why it happened and about what it meant to our country. I told him about soldiers, many young men, who were killed to protect the freedom of Americans they did not know because they loved the land in which they live. I told him to be proud of the soldiers who protect his freedom today. I told him that's why we pray for Gabe and are proud that he serves his country. I told Josh that night that it was tragic that America has gone so far astray in the last 60 years. What happened to people who were proud of the country in which they lived? An era come and gone in the ashes of what is left a tragedy.
So this morning I told J.D. about September 11, 2001. Josh and I had been married for 3 weeks. I always listened to the news in the morning when I got ready. I went and woke Josh up and we sat on the couch and cried. I did not have family in New York and I did not know anyone whom this tragedy affected personally, and yet I wept for them. I wept because they had families, lives that were cut short by those who wish to oppress us. And I wept because I am proud to be American. I was proud of the stories of heroism and personal sacrifice to help other fellow Americans. I was proud of our great nation and the response in a time of need.
I had the chance to go to J.D.'s school this morning and be present for the flag raising ceremony. This is the 6th year they have done this. The American Legion was there to raise the flag and to do a tribute. It gave me cold chills to stand with my children and sing The Star Spangled Banner. I just hope that I can instill in them a sense of patriotism. I think to many people no longer have pride in the land in which they live.
I am so grateful for those who fight for my freedom. I am grateful to their families who make that supreme sacrifice with them. I am grateful that my father and my grandfathers served this great country. I am grateful for Poppa Dave and the sacrifice he made for this country and the affect it has had on his life and the lives of those who love him. I am just GRATEFUL!
Remember the soldiers in your prayers this day and give thanks for their sacrifice and their service.
So this morning I told J.D. about September 11, 2001. Josh and I had been married for 3 weeks. I always listened to the news in the morning when I got ready. I went and woke Josh up and we sat on the couch and cried. I did not have family in New York and I did not know anyone whom this tragedy affected personally, and yet I wept for them. I wept because they had families, lives that were cut short by those who wish to oppress us. And I wept because I am proud to be American. I was proud of the stories of heroism and personal sacrifice to help other fellow Americans. I was proud of our great nation and the response in a time of need.
I had the chance to go to J.D.'s school this morning and be present for the flag raising ceremony. This is the 6th year they have done this. The American Legion was there to raise the flag and to do a tribute. It gave me cold chills to stand with my children and sing The Star Spangled Banner. I just hope that I can instill in them a sense of patriotism. I think to many people no longer have pride in the land in which they live.
I am so grateful for those who fight for my freedom. I am grateful to their families who make that supreme sacrifice with them. I am grateful that my father and my grandfathers served this great country. I am grateful for Poppa Dave and the sacrifice he made for this country and the affect it has had on his life and the lives of those who love him. I am just GRATEFUL!
Remember the soldiers in your prayers this day and give thanks for their sacrifice and their service.
2 comments:
Amen.
I can't believe I am the only one to have commented on such an inspiring post. Other bloggers must be on break. Anyway, I was managing my comments and wanted to respond about the reflux. Brylin had it to the point she puked blood and had to be on special formulas. No fun! Brant has been great on formula, no problem, but has had seriously sour puke from regular milk. The soy hasn't bothered him a bit. I think Bryce is a little annoyed that his child can't have the real thing but I'm sure he'll probably grow out of it later! Thanks for the thoughts, I am always open to any suggestions. Love the new blog by the way...
Post a Comment